Who We Are: The Flatbush Tenant Coalition is a member-led group of 65 (and growing) tenant associations building tenant power in central and south Brooklyn. We develop skilled and informed tenant leaders to challenge the oppressive systems that disenfranchise low-to-moderate income tenants. Our tenant leaders work together to plan and implement strategies to obtain much-needed repairs in our member buildings, stop harassment and displacement, strengthen tenants’ rights in NYC and across the state, and make sure that tenants have a strong voice in housing decisions and plans.
The Position: The Coalition seeks a full-time Bilingual Community Organizer to help us build tenant power in south Brooklyn. Responsibilities include:
- Organizing tenant associations: The Community Organizer (CO) will work with emerging and current tenant leaders to organize tenant associations and plan and implement strategies to obtain respect and repairs from the landlords of rent regulated buildings.
- Building leadership: The CO will work with tenant leaders to spearhead tenant rights campaigns. This includes working with Coalition staff and tenant leaders to update and conduct trainings, prepare tenant leaders to take on new roles and develop in their current roles; and support our leaders as they educate and engage other tenants in the fight to preserve decent, safe, and affordable housing in our community. The CO will create leadership development plans with our tenant leaders and provide constructive feedback on progress.
- Building our base: The CO will assist tenant leaders to conduct outreach in their buildings and in the neighborhood to build their tenant associations and identify new potential leaders and members. The CO will also assist with developing and implementing a communications plan to build our base and strengthen our campaigns.
- Engaging in city and state-wide tenant rights campaigns: The CO will work with tenant leaders and staff to coordinate and facilitate the Coalition’s role in city and state-wide tenant rights campaigns, including our campaign to strengthen rent laws and our campaign to reform Brooklyn Housing Court.
- Contributing to the development of a collaborative, supportive team: The CO will take part in team, membership, and other meetings to jointly review and plan for actions, events, and campaigns.
- Tracking our work and progress: The CO will keep careful records of all of her/his organizing activities, using the Coalition’s database and tracking systems (sign-in sheets, Excel, Google Docs, etc.) The CO will periodically produce reports outlining his/her work and the progress of our tenant leaders and tenant associations.
The positions include evening shifts (1 to 9 p.m.), as well as day shifts and every other weekend. We work remotely AND in person. The Community Organizer reports directly to the Coalition Coordinator.
The Ideal Candidate will have:
- A strong, demonstrated commitment to social justice and the Coalition’s mission, vision, and community organizing approach
- At least two years of base-building and other community organizing experience
- At least one year of experience working on NYC housing or tenant issues
- Fluently bilingual, with a strong preference for Spanish or Haitian Kreyol
- Previous experience developing and conducting trainings and workshops
- Strong written and oral communication skills, and basic math skills
- Facility with email, Excel, Word, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Strong working knowledge of issues and systems affecting low-income, immigrant, LGBTQ, and communities of color, and relevant experience effectively working with these communities
- An ability to relate to a wide range of people, including community members and families, elected officials, legal services providers, and other community-based and advocacy organizations
Please send a cover letter AND resume, in pdf only, to Aga Trojniak at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject heading: Community Organizer FTC
The full-time, salaried position includes good medical and other standard benefits. Competitive salary, depends on experience.